Our blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.mayhemandmoxie.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 5, 2009

In Search of Snow

The girls and I like to talk about about the "extreme" weather conditions that we must endure in the Bay Area. Last summer, we were full of complaints when the thermostat was pushing 85/90 degrees F. Even though we all grew up in areas where the temperature topped out at 105/110, we seem to have lost our ability to cope as we have gotten older.

This winter is no different. Over the Christmas holiday, we cranked our heaters and braced ourself against the cold, which was around 37 degrees. The blog world has taught me many things, but one of the most grim lessons is that California is not cold. A blizzard, now that is cold, but what happened in the Bay Area mid-December was probably not that bad...

When I first caught sight of this foreign substance on the ground outside our house I honestly thought someone had split a bunch of rock salt while trying to make ice cream. As I walked up to our front door, I realized that, no, it was actually cold enough to hail, which is practically unheard of in our area.

Giancarlo was very excited about the bit of frozen ice that fell from the sky and wanted to know if he could make a snowman. As you can see from the photos, the hail that we did receive did not exactly constitute a storm, so our snowman never materialized.

To remedy the situation, we headed in the direction of Lake Tahoe to remind our son of what snow really is. We even managed to make a snowman out of dried cranberries and apricots. Although the end result was no Frosty, he made Giancarlo happy.



Although Lucia didn't spend much time outside due to a cold, she was able to use the pink snowboots that she received from my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas. Practical, no, but they made me laugh everytime I put them on her.

All in all, Tahoe was a wonderful time and a great way to kick off Thuy's Bay-cation series. In the coming months, the Three Bay B Chicks will be featuring fun and fabulous destinations in and around the Bay Area. Coming to California anytime soon or just want to check out some local flavor over the weekend? Our Bay-cation spots will hopefully make your planning a bit easier.

**********************************************************************************
Back in December, the wonderful Amanda at Proud Mommy of Four passed along a Friends Award to us. If you haven't already, check out her blog. Not only is she a Mom to four gorgeous kids, but she also is a blog design goddess, bringing fun and creativity to her blog and to her friends' blogs.


The Friends Award is given to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and to be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. The hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers.

The award is supposed to be passed onto 8 bloggers, so we will forward the love onto:

2. Carolynn at Willow Tree
4. Kimmy at Our Life's Journey
5. Breanne at The Johnsons
7. Sarah at A Small Slice
8. Darabelle at The Schwuzzard's

Now it's your turn, go give these bloggers some love and visit their site.

-Francesca

Bookmark and Share

27 comments:

Cammie said...

Cute pics! As a snow hater I am fairly jealous of your weather on in CA

Erin said...

What a fun little snowman! When I took my son to school this morning it was a balmy 6 degrees. Yuck!

Kimmy said...

OMG!! Thanks so much for the award!!! You have made my Monday a better day! :o)

BTW...it has been much colder this year out here though, huh?! Brrr!! Being from California, I mentioned to my hubby yesterday that people from other states would probably think we were wooses..lol!!

Thanks again and have a fabulous day!!

Lori said...

HEEEEEYYYY!!! I'm famous!!!! Thanks for the frienship love :)

Counselormama said...

I love going to the snow with my kids, too. Tahoe is sooo beautiful and not too far away, you can't beat that!

Lara Neves said...

It's funny how our perception of temperature changes depending on where we live! I'm from Utah, where it can be extreme either way, but then I lived in Phoenix for a few years and learned about what extreme heat really means. Now I'm back in Utah, and this winter has been COLD! Like Erin said it was 6 degrees this morning, but the overnight low was -5! Yikes!

Becky said...

6 degrees here, too, which is a nice change from the -22 yesterday.

Sarah VM said...

Awwww! Thank you so much for the blog award! It's my first one!!

Unknown said...

it's friggin cold here in oklahoma right now....but those pics were so cute and lake tahoe ahhhh i would love to visit

Unknown said...

oh and congrats on your bloggy bling

Debbie said...

Wonderful pictures. We used to get snow here, then global warming came and now - just rain. And lots of it. I am jealous of your little getaway.
Congrats on the award.

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Congrats on your award! I simply love the way all three of you guys combine to make a great blog.
Adorable pics of the kiddos in the snow. I know what you mean about the cold. It's 32 degrees and raining here in Texas. We had to get out in 'it' today and about froze. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the California "snow." We actually did get snow in the mountains of CA where we lived until this past August. We are now in Boise being hit with the second wave of snow storms this season. Pretty, but annoying. Great snowman!

Can't wait to see your Bay-cations series. My kids love going to SF, and though it's not on the docket this year, you never know, maybe the next?

Heather of the EO said...

I would LOVE it if I thought 37 was cold. So cool that you went to find some snow.

Kristina P. said...

Being cold sucks! We're in for another snowstorm in Utah.

And congrats on the award!

rachel said...

I'm from California and STILL am not used to all this snow we get around here! I think I need to head west for the winter :) I thought the snowman was very charming by the way.

Jo said...

2 days before we left Sac in Dec it was 28 degrees there! What that is not cold compared to Utah weather, it is something the wimpy Californians are just not used to. Now it is 8 degrees in Utah. THAT is cold. Frozen nose hair cold. Brrrr.

seriously? said...

I LOVE the pink boots. One of those things that you don't let her wear out in the snow because they are soooo cute.

Mainly a midwife said...

Wow..thank you for mentioning my blog. I'm honored and you just made my day :)

Mainly a midwife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I totally love your little snowblob. So cute! And you're right...I'd have those boots on her as much as possible. Scrumptiously cute.

It's not enough for you to have violets on your countertop. I need you to see violets on your computer too. So I'm following you. You can't avoid seeing my icon. ;) I won't let you.

Kerri said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for commenting! This is a fun blog to read and your kids are adorable. I like the idea of sharing a blog with your friends!

WILLOW TREE said...

Thanks Gals! Much love right back at ya!

I sooooo want to come out to the Bay area, but you know, haven't won the lottery lately, so I'm on the edge of my seat for living vicariously through you guys in the Bay-cation posts!

Snow I've got. Handfuls, shovel-fulls, every where I look there's more... fulls. Sorry, got carried away there for a sec. I want snow for Christmas, but from January to um, yeah wait for it... APRIL I'm way over it. WAY. Just Sayin.

But what's a diehard Wisconsin gal to do? Cause trouble in a CA retirement community with her best blog pals someday, that's what! :o)

Blessings, Carolynn

Omah's Helping Hands said...

First off congratulations on your Friends Award!

When first reading this, I was going to write a joke about how your little dusting was nothing, but then forgot you are close to Tahoe. Such a beautiful area. Now I can't talk about the snow we are getting. ;) Cute pics!

Breanne said...

Oh my goonnesss! You listed me! But you have other blogs that are so much more interesting! Thanks for the recognition! Now I just need to post something attention-worthy for any new visitors to enjoy - just wait a day or two newcomers :)

Kailey said...

Such cute pictures!

Susannah said...

um, lucia is WALKING?! little m has some pink furry ugg/cowboy boots that her great aunt and uncle gifted her. they could be cute and impractical together. love this post. and gc's flat little snowman.