Our blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.mayhemandmoxie.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Ask a Dad

Child's Play

I’ve recently discovered that young children enjoy playing. I would have to say, however, that I feel more successful as a parent when I refer to their playful activities as “impulsive hands-on observational study.”

"Hey, Emi, after I change your poopy diaper and feed you mashed peas, would you like to crawl over to the front room and impulsively study your universe via hands-on observation? Of course you would, pumpkin. Daddy loves you."

Here is an imperative list of fun observational studies (a.k.a. games) that no child should be deprived of:

Pulling Books Down From The Bookshelf
A vital precursor to reading is the ability to open a book. Before a child can open a book, they must learn to pull books down from the shelf. My daughter, Emi, intuitively practices this activity roughly ten times a day. She takes great delight in this activity, knowing that one day it will lead to the joys of reading. As a side-note, this activity will more than likely drive you insane (or maybe it's just Emi's Mommy who gets frustrated with her child's interest in books.)

Take It From My Hand
This “game” will help your child learn to assert herself. Here’s how it’s played:

Get at least 3 identical objects, small enough for your child to grab with one hand. Let’s go ahead and call these objects, “sponge-like plastic green triangle blocks.” Start by placing one “sponge-like plastic green triangle block” in each of your child's hands. Then, quickly, before they become interested in the bookshelf again, whip out another “sponge-like plastic green triangle block” from its hiding spot behind your back. As she enviously reaches for the block in your hand, swipe the block she’s dropped and taunt her by waving it in front of her face. Undoubtedly, if she’s playing the game right, she’ll continue to drop the block she’s holding in efforts to take yours. People think kids can play this game forever. That is incorrect. Kids will routinely stop playing "take it from my hand" shortly after four hours.

If your child loses interest in either of these “games”, just set her down in front of the TV and turn on C-SPAN.

-Tyler

Tyler H is a guest blogger and father to Emi. The Three Bay B Chicks have asked him to shed light on a Dad’s point of view under the stern supervision of his loving wife. If you have a question for Ask A Dad, feel free to submit it in the comments section. The Three Bay B Chicks are not responsible for Tyler's "advice."
Bookmark and Share

25 comments:

Kimmy said...

Thanks for the comment love!!

It's great to know the cards are done, Huh?! :o) The gift wrapping....I'm right with you however, this year I've actually got it all done except for Santa's portion. Just got the wrapping paper for that yesterday. I'm normally the night before Christmas wrapper. That totally sucks too cause then my back aches and I'm just exhausted. This year has been better in that area. Good luck on yours :o)

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

What a great post! Love your guest blogger's daddy views. Sounds like my husband....

wendy said...

we jammed out books in the shelves so that jasper can't pull them out {its hard for us to pull them out}, although he still tries and tries and tries and then stands there holding himself up and crying because he hasn't figured out how to lower himself to the ground.

Lara Neves said...

Oh, I love the new twist on pulling books from the shelves. I'm going to have some amazing readers some day. They will also love classical music, because they pull teh CD's all out, too.

Carol said...

I'm such a bad mom. I thwarted my kids' pull books from the shelf game by simply leaving them on the floor.

Love that take-it-from-my-hand game. Now that the kids are too old for that, I think I'll teach it to my pooch.

Great post, Dad!

Anonymous said...

This post is awesome!!!!!

Worth A Thousand Words said...

Great Post!

Kristina P. said...

Francesa, thanks for the comment!

Your blog is adorable, and those kids are so freaking cute!

And I'm actually not the Blog Stalker. She was one of my original stalkers! However, I know who she is. In fact, she made my blog buttons. Her secret is safe with me! :)

I'm adding this blog to my Reader!

seriously? said...

What about the "get the remote" game where you ask the child to crawl or walk over and bring you the remote so that you don't have to get up? How is it that men can make anything fun to kids?

Debbie said...

What about the empty out the kitchen cabinet game? I found that was essential to normal growth and development.

Heather of the EO said...

This is such a great idea! I love it. And well-written too.

And I DO have a question for THE DAD--Which is worse-the dirtiest and smelliest and messiest diaper EVER or your child "getting sick" all over your shirt? (And yes, YOU have to clean up either mess, not the Mama)

Nice to meet you! :)

LisAway said...

Now THERE'S an informative post I can get through! Very entertaining, and all the advice is obviously sound as it has been tested.

I was a little sad to hear about the time limit to the Take It From My Hand game. Oh well.

Aquaspce said...

Hello Francesca Thanks for stopping by!
Your kids are adorable! And the guest post - super funny!

I WISH a cookie fairy would have baked my cookies!

Heidi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog--you got me over here and now I'm following! It's the least I can do for someone rendered speechless by my post. Score! Anyway, to answer your question about my book, it is a Jane Austen era romantic comedy and though it is humorous and has some pretty absurd situations, there is no barf involved. However, The Big Guy is prolific and has many cards up his sleeve. If you read back far enough, you will find lots more of his antics on my blog. (I had to tone down the barfing, though--it was really grossing people out.)

Cammie said...

hi! I love the idea of you guys sharing a blog! Very cool~

adding you to my reader....like the blog addict I am....

Helene said...

I loved this post!! It's nice to read things from a man's perspective!

And what is up with the whole ripping books off the bookshelves thing? I thought my toddlers were the only ones who did this annoyingly frustrating thing!!! I feel somewhat comforted that other toddlers do this as well! I'm surprised some parent hasn't come up with some type of contraption yet to stop these little toddler book destroyers!!!

Rising Rainbow said...

Great post! The fact a daddy finds the time to play with a youngster is great.....taking time to post about it is an added bonus.

Deb said...

What an amazing blog!! I will be visiting often.

Minxy Mimi said...

HAHAHAHAHA
Dont we love book exploring??
Its nice to hear your POV!

Unknown said...

Great post...my beans are older and only one of them has my passion for books....I guess 1 ot of 3 isnt bad But I am workin on the other 2 ;-)

Laura said...

Loving the Dad point of view-very funny and true!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Your blog has simply been a joy to follow. So you have a Christmas Spirit Award awaiting you at my blog.

Boy Mom said...

Go Dad, love the male point of view! Love the bookshelf game, but my personal favorite is fetch, with mommy or daddy playing the role of rover and baby launching a toy out of reach then yelling enthusiastically until its brought back by rover aka parent. This delightful game is slightly more fun than spongy shape switch-up.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Breanne said...

Aahh, Tyler - look at you, and look at this blog - you're a superstar! Ooohhh, I'm so proud of you.

;)

.... Very funny 'Ask a Dad' as usual. Will you come write for me on my blog? Do I get sibling rights?

Counselormama said...

Ok, not a comment, but only place I know where to say this, Tyler, Please tell your bro Brett to respond to my email already! Sheez! (Yvonne Bruins)