Our blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.mayhemandmoxie.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Food For Thought

Over the past two years, I’d like to think I have become a much better cook. By “better,” I mean that I don’t set the fire alarm off nearly as much as I used to. Although I loathe grocery shopping, I really enjoy the cooking process. I’m a loyal fan of Barefoot Contessa and occasionally will try a Giada recipe (shhh…don’t tell Francesca). As much as I would like to try fancy dishes, I have to be practical and cooking time needs to be kept to a minimum. Recently, I’ve turned to the Internet for recipes and have been very inspired.

Here are some of my favorite finds:

I hopped on the Orangette bandwagon late in the game. Apparently, this site has been around for a few years. You have to scroll down on the blog to find the recipes, but Molly always adds mouth-watering pictures. This Sweet and Spicy Bacon is on my list to try this month!


Baking is not usually my thing, but Joy the Baker has made it much more bearable. She always showcases beautiful pictures from her baking process. Here’s what I’m loving now: Warm Berries with Stove Top Dumplings. Yum-my!


If my mother or sisters are reading this, I would love this Southern Style Strawberry Cake for my birthday!


The Pioneer Woman takes the cake with her step-by-step pictures. Not only does she make things fool proof, but many of her recipes are also fairly easy. These Spicy, Roasted Chicken Legs are scrumptious and a favorite in our house.


Finally, Chow Mama offers kid friendly recipes and family food tips. I appreciate the recipes listed by age and have been dying to try their Homemade Nutella.


I also found a post on serving tea to toddlers, or more specifically, Chai Spiced Blood Orange Granita. It makes sense, but I have never thought of giving herbal tea to my little one for tummy aches.


I only covered a small portion of the great food blogs out there in cyberspace. Here are some others to definitely check out:

Gastrokid
Sassy Radish
Pinch My Salt
Tiny Morsels

Give me a couple of years and perhaps one day I'll even host a dinner party. No, not the 6 plus course dinners that Francesca and Geoff used to host pre-children; just a simple appetizer, entree, and dessert.

A girl can dream, can't she?

-Kacey

Bookmark and Share

44 comments:

More Than Words said...

Yum! Now I'm craving for dessert somewhere!!!!

Thanks for all those links! I'll have to look into those!

lov said...

seriously...
i thought i was going to have a smoothie for breakfast....but after this...a smoothie will NOT cut it!
i want that strawberry cake....

Anonymous said...

Orangette?

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so hungry now.

He & Me + 3 said...

Those are some great looking dishes...yum. my thought is now I am starving and wanting some of that strawberry cake.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

Oh my!!! Those all look so delicious!!! I am going to have to check those blogs out - we are in need of some new life to our old dinners!!

Shannon said...

Hmmm... this was not the post to read before breakfast. Now I want bacon, chicken and cake!

Deb said...

I give herbal teas to my kids all the time. They love it, and I feel better about it than Kool-Aid.

Unknown said...

Yum! I'd love some of that strawberry cake for breakfast! It's fruit, right?

Lori said...

So you've discovered Pioneer Woman, too? I am completely addicted.

If you go to her home and garden section, she does this incredible tutorial on building your own veggie garden. I might, just might, be doing this very soon. I've moved it from my "possibly might do list" to my "seriously might do list."

Y'all chicks have a great day :)

Kathy B! said...

I'll be out in your neck of the woods the first week of June, just in case you were looking for dates for your soiree. Until then I'll be waiting hungrily by my mailbox for the invitation.

Anonymous said...

I'm so with the tea. I've been drinking tea since I was at least five. My mom would give me and my brother a cup of it every morning because she said "It breaks up the Gas". LOL. I used to love Sassafrass tea but you can't find that anymore.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh my heavenly DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!! I too am a stinky cook but I actually do like shopping for food, I just hate preparing it. :)

Meg said...

Morning Chicks....that was just mean....I haven't had breakfast yet and I totally spilled my coffee this morning! I must go RUN 5 miles now and pretend like I didn't even see these wonderful pictures!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am not familiar with any of these blogs; I'm on my way to check them out!

Jillene said...

YUM-A-LICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing these recipes and sites--I'm always up for new ideas!!

Sheryl said...

My stuff never looks like the pictures :-)

Just SO said...

I do not like to cook. And probably have set of 'usual' recipes that I use. I have found some on the internet to add to my set but if it's not fast and easy I don't make it. These all look good though!

Unknown said...

Home made nutella? Get the heck out of the city! I have to click over. This made me feel SO hungry!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Yum!!!

I like to cook, but it is harder to find the time these days.

I will have to check out the blogs you posted. Thanks!

Amy said...

I am not one who really cooks. I am a baker. So those treats look great. I am not a fan or pork. Those piggy's are to cute to eat.

Anonymous said...

I totally love Guiada and all her recipes! Thanks for all the other links you posted i always like to try new things!

Heather said...

Mmmmmm. Bacon.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Me too... TOTALLY hate grocery shopping! I'm going to have to check out these websites. And I WANT that strawberry cake for my birthday as well. It looks AMAZING!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

My mouth was watering through this whole post!!! I'm checking all of those links today!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

are you trying to kill me slowly or just make me suffer with all the goodies?

Aquaspce said...

I am totally hungry now - the orange and diet pepsi I'm consuming just isn't cutting it anymore!

Kimmy said...

Okay, I'm hungry now! I'll pass on the chicken legs but everything else just looks so de-lish!!!

Sarah said...

All of those look very yummy!

One dish wonders...that's still cooking, right? What about take out?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ChowMama shout out! And love the other links. This is great.

Stacie

Michelle said...

Thanks for all those links...just what I need....more foodie blogs!! I have to admit, I'm really addicted to them!!

Thanks for the early Birthday wishes yesteday!!

tiarastantrums said...

oh my - I have only been to Pioneer Woman - thanks for all the great food sites!!!!!!!

Judah said...

oh have mercy!! I could eat all of that right now!! can't wait to check those out!!

Grand Pooba said...

Now that you've offered a dinner party, you know we're all going to show up at your house tonight right? Hope you're prepared!

Kathy said...

How is a girl to stay on a diet with posts like this?

I make a mean bowl of Frosted Flakes. Sometimes I slice a banana in, just to mix things up!

Anonymous said...

I do not like cooking or grocery shopping. I leave that stuff to the hubs. I did have to cook a bit tonight, but that's okay. I just can't do it all the time. Congrats on not burning anything.

Alison said...

I love the site recipezaar.com - it has a great search engine for things you want or don't want in your food!

Gibby said...

I just became so hungry reading this...I'd better head to bed before I raid the pantry!

Counselormama said...

Yummy! Looks so good!

Julie said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past sweet and spicy bacon. Must have...now!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Ok never heard it either :) so going to check it out, those pictures are amazing! That Southern Strawberry Cake looks to die for.

I'm a make it easy and simple ... LOL

Thanks so much for stopping by it's always great to have you come over ;)

peewee said...

I couldn't even READ this whole post because I was so mesmerized by the picture of nutella and bananas.

Francesca says I should make it myself too. But I don't have that many chemicals in my kitchen!

Why make? when the buying one is SO PERFECT? I say if it ain't broke...don't do ANYTHING that requires more work. I think I read that in the book of psalms. For sure it's in the Bible SOMEWHERE.

Together We Save said...

Ok a warning before you post such yummy pictures is a must. I love bacon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so gonna make that strawberry cake this weekend...