Our blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.mayhemandmoxie.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cashing In

Much to Geoff’s dismay, Giancarlo is an early riser, similar to me. He is normally awake and ready for breakfast sometime around 6:00 a.m. On weekdays, this is not an issue. However, on weekends, when Geoff would love nothing more than to be able to “sleep in” until 7:00, Giancarlo usually has other plans.

The scene at our house last Sunday was no different...

Giancarlo, whispering: “Mom, I am going to sneak into the room and say thank you for Christmas to Dad.”
Me: “Maybe we should just let Dad sleep, baby.”
Giancarlo: “No, I have to say thank you.”

He peeks in the room, “Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad,” each time a bit louder than the last.
Geoff groans. “Dad, thank you for Christmas. Dad, are you sweeping? Dad, I want to give you a kiss.”
Giancarlo pulls himself up on the bed, tearing all of the covers off of Geoff, and then literally falls on top of him. “Ouch. Sorry, Dad. I wub you.”

Whispering again, “Mama, Dad is still sweeping. Should I wake him up with musak? I will play my drums for him.”

And so it begins. The band starts to joyfully play and march in our bedroom at 6:30. “Woo-cia, let’s do band. Here you play too.”

Upon receiving a set of plastic toy instruments from his grandfather, Giancarlo decided early on that Lucia would play the kazoo. Yes, my baby girl walks around our house, blowing air and salvia out of a kazoo.


The musical talent in my household does not stop there. As Giancarlo has showed me time and again, why play one instrument, when you can play two at the same time?


It seems a pity that this musical genius is seen only by a sleepy Dad on a Sunday morning. Fortunately, a post on Forever Folding Laundry inspired me to dream bigger.

I have a number of friends with kids around the same age as mine. Why not combine forces for our own economic gain? We might have to start out singing in malls, but I am sure it wouldn't be long before we could conquer the world Hannah Montana style with DVDs, pillows, party supplies, clothes, and toys.

Of course, given our children's age, they could probably benefit from having some sort of "mentor"...a guide to help them navigate the treacherous waters of fame and fortune.

Sasha Fierce, are you interested?

-Francesca

Special thanks to my dear friend, Gina, who directed me to the Faceinhole.com website. Without her, this post would not have been possible.

Bookmark and Share

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL Those pictures are so funny! And I loved your story. Aiden has to wake his daddy up every day too. By jumping on top of him! It never fails that someone gets hurt at least once a week.

Helene said...

I cannot stop laughing at those pics!!! So cute!! My kids are the same with Tim, who loves sleep more than life itself. He's not a good morning person, unlike me, and it takes an army to wake him sometimes. Good thing I had 4 kids b/c 2 kids probably wouldn't be as loud and obnoxious!!!

I think you're on to something with the whole kiddie band idea!! Could you imagine your kids becoming so popular that they have their own little bobblehead toys selling in Toys R Us!!

Kailey said...

Haha...That is so cute!

forever folding laundry said...

I - AM - DYING!!! Those are the funniest pictures ever. I really think you're onto something with the girl band idea. (But Kacey - I really never pictured that Emi would be so tall!?!)

I'm loving that Giancarlo is the the music director of the household. And I think waking Geoff at 6am with the gentle sounds of drumming and kazoos is perfectly acceptable.

As for the picture of Sasha Fierce, aka KP...simply fabulous.

Nana said...

I have to say those pictures are a little freaky deaky. However, they made me laugh really hard. I have an award for you over at my place.

Deb said...

I love it. The pictures were amazing.

Anonymous said...

As one of Giancarlo's drum teachers, I am so happy that he's using his talents productively within the family. I noticed at our last lesson (Christmas Eve morning) that he has really progressed musically. I hope Geoff appreciates that during his lucid moments. :) Guess who?

The Blonde Duck said...

LOL! Love the Sasha Fierce comment. My musical talents consist of howling horrificially. I'm delighted, no one else is. Hopefully my children won't have the same issue.

He & Me + 3 said...

Those pictures were so Funny. I love that your kids like to wake up daddy too on sleep in days. My hubby just loves to be woken on the only day he can sleep in. LOL
You children are so cute!

Hccm said...

Those pictures are too funny!

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Kristina P. said...

Hahaha! Thank you. I'm so happy that you had to put my creepy Edward Cullen impersonation picture into Sasha Fierce. Love it.

Melissa said...

LOL!! Kristina looks FABULOUS as Sasha! She'd be the perfect mentor :)
I knew there was a reason I put the musical insturment box on the highest possible shelf ;)

Debbie said...

Great photos. But how could you not wake up smiling to that face?

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

I have had to temoprarily ban any "musak" making instruments. Not because of early morning band practice, but because of EARLY morning band practice. My 3 year old recently woke up 2 nights in a row at 3AM blowing loudly on a kazoo. AHHHHH!!!

Chris said...

Hilarious Pictures!

dede said...

ha ha! What talent - 2 recorders at once is awesome!! (my instruments are on the top shelf as well!!)

peewee said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHH! Sasha..YOUA RE HOT!

Barbaloot said...

Loving the pictures. So cute about waking up Daddy---but hopefully he got to go back to sleep after that.

Sabrina said...

OMG! I love the Kristina face!!!
Or should we call her Shenanay Snarky!!!! :)

rachel said...

Brilliant post Francesca! The picture of Sasha Fierce is rather haunting, isn't it? Your son is awesome! So polite to thank his daddy and tell him he loves him and play him the drums at 6AM...now that is unconditional love if I've ever heard it!

amanda said...

hilarious. and i love sleeping in til seven. :0)

Anonymous said...

That is so freakin' hilarious? Is that Kristina? LOLOL

Meg said...

Oh, that's brilliant.

Fist bump to you on the Sasha Fierce photo. Well played.

Erin said...

I love the story of waking up your husband to say I wub you. Adorable! And yes, Sasha Fierce is fierce with those eyes.

Megan said...

That just made my day!!!

The High Family said...

You are too funny!

We are very lucky in our household...the kiddies sometimes sleep until 9am!!! I know unheard of huh?

Love the pics of the kiddies...they are too cute playing the instruments. Ryan is all about playing his drums whenever the house is considered too quiet for him. Gotta love the musical instruments at this age!

Brooke said...

Kids know when they act really cute and say "I wub you" they can get away with anything! So funny. My kids are early birds, too. I would LOVE to sleep in until 7:00.

Unknown said...

awwww that is soooo sweet....
and OMGosh i just did a faceinhole post today too...great minds think alike lol

seriously? said...

Ummm, holy crap...another band? I cannot handle the elementary school band that is playing in my office four times a week. I bet your kids are better than the ones at my school. Just ask Counselormama, she has heard first hand. I can just see that sweet little one of yours playing her kazoo and blowing spit out of it at the audience...awwww!!!

Tulip Row said...

That is hilarious & adorable! I once wanted to write a status line on FB that said I was holding strict Jackson 5 style rehearsals in my living room. But I thought some peeps might think I was serious!

Jo said...

I am assuming either all your children are going through puberty early or perhaps you have joined the modern trend of plastic surgery at a young age. Either way, they are HAWT! Go for it mama and Kristina, I mean Sasha would do very well for the mentor position. Why don't you come on out on Feb 21 for our meet and greet??? If you came, I promise I would make a pink needle felted piggy for showing up!

heidi said...

Those pictures are great! Ha! Nothing like some early morning percussion to get ya goin', eh?

Counselormama said...

Face in the hole, huh? Now I have something else to get involved in! Those are hilarious! I think I could spend literally all day doing that with pics!

Aquaspce said...

Too hilarious! That cracks me up! With me it used to be as soon as Billy left, one little set of footsteps would sound in the hall. Then a whispered "can I sleep with you?" Within 10 minutes, the bed would be filled with three giggling bodies... sleep no more!

joanofalltrades said...

LOL! You are killing me with the face in the hole!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Once again thanks for the giggles, smile and laughter. You have a gift for writing dear sweet woman. Your children are lucky to have such a cool mom! Looking forward to the next awesome post. ;) Love to you,
Tammy

Unknown said...

Awww I wouldn't mind one bit being awakened by those sweet faces.

The Johnson 5 said...

My household is the same way. My 9 year old son is up and ready to tackle all the worlds problems by 6:30 every morning. And yes he loves to awake his brother and sister with his recorder. (have you ever seen a teenager being awaken by his little brother with a musical instrument?? It is not PRETTY!!)

LOVED THE PICTURES!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Hope you've heard lots of sweet music today!
I have something for you over at my blog. Feel free to pick it up and pass it along. :)

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I can see your family has a lot of musical talent!!

Great post.

Lady of Perpetual Chaos said...

Sasha Fierce looks vaguely familiar...