Our blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.mayhemandmoxie.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Life is But a Dream

Soon after moving to the Bay Area, I decided that I wanted to use some of my free time to volunteer. After looking into several programs, I decided to fill out an application at the Children's Hospital in Oakland. The hospital was not too far from where we were living at the time and of all the various volunteer programs that I looked into, it seemed to be a good fit for me.

As part of the training, volunteers are "taught" how to wash their hands. While this may sound silly, doing so actually had a purpose. Turns out that many people do not wash their hands long enough to be effective. In order to address this problem, volunteers are advised to wash their hands, with soap, while singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".

When G became old enough to wash his hands, I taught him to sing the song too. It was the only way I could come up with to ensure that his very dirty hands were not simply rinsed with water and then smeared against the towels. He now really enjoys washing his hands, even going as far as to tell me to "go away." He is a "big boy" now.

Here's G's version of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:

Row, row, row your boat
Gen-ly down the steam
Merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry
Life is but a deam.

The song is usually repeated three or four times before he considers his hands washed.

-Francesca
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

forever folding laundry said...

That's so funny. I used to tell the boys to sing Happy Birthday.

LOVE your post yesterday about the lady in the coffee shop. You are hilarious. I'm hoping she walked away with her tail between her legs.

BTW, did you find some cute clothes for the kids to wear in the pics? Where did you find them?