How very little I knew back then. As testament to my naivety, I realized yesterday that my mother-in-law gave me Haiku Mama in 2005 and I am finally reading it for the first time. I took a few moments while G was at pre-school and L was taking her morning nap to flip through some of the pages. Here are are haiku's that are especially fitting for me:
too old for trick-or-treating,
right age for stealing.
Wrong to eat bagel,
Sour Patch Kids, green tea for lunch
but damn it tastes good.
These poems were still on my mind last night when, despite my best efforts, L woke up and would not go back to sleep. While staring at her for hours on end, I came up with my own haiku:
Three a.m., baby cries,
Who is going to make it stop?
Motrin, answer my prayer.
(O.K., so the last line has 6 syllables and not the required 5, but it was super early and I had gotten very little sleep.)
The moral of this story: Compose your own haiku the next time you have hours to kill with your baby. It just might be the remedy you need to keep from losing your mind.
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
Since everyone so kindly suffered through my bad, middle-of-the-night poetry, the 3BayBChicks would like to offer a reward. Thuy, our resident bargain expert, has graciously utilized her skills to provide us with a bevy of bargain basement buys and sample sale tips. Many of the deals are only good this weekend, so read on and let the savings begin!
1. GAP Give and Get Coupon: Effective November 13-16.
2. Gymboree Circle of Friends Coupon: Effective November 6-9. Customers receive 30% off of their entire purchase. More information at this link.
3. Cost Plus World Market: Effective November 7-11. Customers receive 25% off of their purchase. Details at this link.
4. Sephora: Effective now until November 10. Receive an extra 20% off of your on-line purchase using the code FF2008 at check-out.
5. Neiman Marcus: Effective now until November 9. Receive up to 40% off. Also, use the code NMNOV at check-out to receive free shipping.
6. Victoria's Secret: Effective now until November 10. Receive 25% off any single item using the code 25ITEM at check-out.
7. Giggle: Effective now until December 2, free gift wrap and free shipping. No code required.
8. JCrew: Effective November 5-8. Receive an extra 30% off of sale items using the code EXTRA30 both in stores and on-line at check-out.
9. Crazy8: Effective November 6-9. Receive an 20% off at check-out using the code C8ONLINE.
10. Janie and Jack: Effective November 14-16. Receive 25% off Janie and Jack entire purchase on November 14-16th. Online code: JJFamily.
1. Club Monaco: Effective November 6-9. Bring this coupon to any store location and receive 30% off.
2. Nordstrom: Half-yearly sale for women and children. Savings of 40% or more. No coupon or code required.
Sample Sales in the Bay Area:
1. Loom: Saturday, November 8, 2008, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This store specializes in diaper and weekend bags. They are located at 38 Lochinvar Road in San Rafael.
2. Carrot and Stick Press: Saturday, December 6. Carrot and Sticks is one of our favorite destinations for paper products. The sale will be held at their warehouse at 6050 Lowell Street, Studio 102, in Oakland.
3. The Cat's Pajamas: Famous for their sushi pajamas! The sample sale will be held on Saturday, November 22 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and again on Sunday, November 23 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Location is 1285 66th Street (at Hollis) in Emeryville.
More Bay Area Love:
1. Iniam: One of my newest discoveries and most favorite stores. They are located in the Rockridge Area in Oakland and are offering 30% off of everything in the store on November 7 and 8 only. As an added bonus, if you bring in a first time customer who also makes a purchase, the savings for both of you is increased to 35%.
2. Appel & Frank shopping event: Tickets may be purchased in advance or on the day of the event. This quarter the faire will be held in Marin and will feature a number of designers, complimentary spa services, beauty makeovers, wine, and giveaways. More detail is provided in this link.